The functions of the Government Shipping Office, Chittagong may be summarized as under
- Administration of the Bangladesh Merchant Shipping Ordinance, 1983 and the rules framed there under from time to time.
- To give rulings and interpretations on provisions of the Merchant Shipping Ordinance/ Acts, Articles of Agreement, Maritime Board (Bangladesh).
- Arbitration and settlement of problems/disputes between he Shipper and Seafarer/Unions and officers and Seafarers on employment and employment related problems often raised by foreign & national flag vessels/owner and Maritime Labour Organization.
- Matters relating to employment of Bangladeshi seamen on foreign & national flag vessels and to negotiate on terms and Conditions therefore with the ranking representatives/ executives of foreign & national ship owner and unions visiting Bangladesh.
- Liaison with foreign ship owners on matters of employment of Bangladeshi seamen of their vessels.
- Recruitment of Fresher Seamen.
- Preparation and execution of plan for training of fresher seamen in keeping with the modern day technological developments and requirements and facilitation for their engagement of different foreign & national ships.
- Maintenance and operation of Seamen’s Funds under different heads i.e., (a) Deferred Credit-1, (b) Deferred Credit-11 and (c) Gratuity.